 Marketplace / Theory / 2385
Re: lugnet.market.mess
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.admin.suggestions, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 00:56:13 GMT

Ben Roller wrote:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz writes:
NOOOOOOO (especially NOOOOOOOOOOOOO on combining the auction adds in
with other adds).

Ok, I tend to agree that high-volume sites like eBay and Bricklink need
their own groups.  I wonder though, what's the big difference between an ad
for an auction and a straight sale these days?  I understand the difference
between an auction and a sale of course, but with eBay's "Buy It Now" option
and the way things have generally changed in the last few years, why are
auction ads so different?

Well, go look at the history of the discussion on auctions for why Todd
etal. think of auctions as different. I'm not sure how things are today,
but apparently there used to be folks who would have a heart attack if
they even heard a hint of the evil dirty word "auction." (Ok, so that's
an exaggeration on my part, but I never quite understood why auctions
got it so bad).

These days, I think that if eBay and BrickLink each had their own group
for announcements, all other buy/sell/trade/auction posts would easily
fit in one group. I think there's approximately zero non-eBay auction
posts, and there sure aren't that many for sale posts which aren't eBay
or BrickLink. Then there's a handful of trade and wanted posts (a wanted
group would be nice there - and as far as I'm concerned, posts with
wanted lists would be welcome there even if they also advertised what
was available for trade for those wanted items [in other words, it would
be a group you could check to see if anyone wanted something you wanted
to get rid of before you posted your own for sale/for trade post]).

FUT back to lugnet.admin.suggestions

Frank