 Administrative / Suggestions / 144
Re: lugnet.market.mess
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 20:25:16 GMT

"Kevin Salm" <kdsalm@dreamscape.com> writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Except that ads should not be rooted in the same hierarchy as discussion.
This raises the same (problem? mistake?) that occurred with announce and
announce.moc... web viewing market.brickshops will also show the contents of
brickshops.ads

I fail to see the problem with .announce.moc - the MOC's are a subset
of announcements.  There is no discussion in .announce.  I agree that
they should be separate, but I don't think that's a good analogy.

My vote is to have all ads be rooted higher... if we reorged everything I
would vote for market.discuss and market.ad as the root of everything, with

I disagree with the idea of market.discuss.  It seems unnecessary to
me.  Everything that isn't ads is discussion anyway, so why make it
explicit?

Ah, yes...I wanted to mention this point but forgot.  This a big
reason I am against just adding more newsgroups.  If the new groups
are further down in the hierarchy than the one you want to read, the
subsequent messages will appear.

What does this mean, "subsequent messages will appear"?

Move ads higher in the hierarchy and separate discussion groups --
this is a very good idea and I think it would work.  Readers could
focus on the ads group or ignore them and just view the discuss
groups.

What do you mean by moving it higher?  Do you favor or oppose the
lugnet.market.ads.* idea?  Do you want to have the groups containing
the ads directly under lugnet.market (as they are now) or to have them
grouped together under an "ads" hierarchy?

This still leaves us without a place for .shopping (with the current
charter).  Shopping is a discuss group, but all of the posts
reporting what retailers have what for sale are really ads--even if
they are posted by a third party.  The charter for .shopping will
need a complete re-write.  The toughest thing is figuring out where
the brag posts should go.  Are they ads or are they discussion?  I
don't know and there is no straight line that I can see.

They are most definitely *NOT* ads.  An ad is an attempt to sell
something.  When someone posts that K-mart has Mindstorms RIS 2.0 for
$49.99 (we wish!) or whatever, that isn't an attempt to drum up
business for K-mart, it's an attempt to help fellow AFOL's get a good
deal.  Flogs for bricklink shops or ebay auctions should be relegated
to a .ads subgroup or subhierarchy, but .shopping is a different
kettle of fish.

I think .shopping falls into two categories: announcements and
discussions.  But the volume is low enough that there's no need to
split it.

The biggest problem is the ambiguity in .buy-sell-trade vs.
.brickshops.  There are several types of messages spread across those
two groups:

* Flogs for bricklink shops
* Offers for trade or sale apart from brickshops
* People's lists of wanted bricks
* Discussion of bricklink admin issues

I think each of these four categories should have its own group,
because there isn't a large overlap between the readers of each
(IMHO).  In particular, wanted and forsale should be separate.

--Bill.