 Administrative / Suggestions / 154
153  |  155
Subject:
lugnet.announce.moc [was: Re: lugnet.market.mess]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 17:07:25 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
.announce.moc was CREATED to keep traffic out of .announce. It basically
(due to the technology) fails to do that for web users. Point your browser
at .announce and you see announce.moc traffic as well. Simple as that... it
fails to keep traffic out of announce. Yes yes you can get a 'no subgroups'
view but it's not the default. If we are going to reorg things, reorg them
so that this is not a problem.

I'll go into more depth later if that doesn't help clear up my point.

I believe the main reason was not so much to avoid that problem, as to
keep MOC's from crowding other announcements out of the "top stories"
sidebar on the LUGNET home page.  I understand that lugnet.announce
posts are given automatically higher weight than any other messages,
assuming the same amount of highlight/spotlight.

--Bill.