 Administrative / Suggestions / 147
Re: lugnet.market.mess
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 22:08:35 GMT

William R Ward wrote:
NOOOOOOO (especially NOOOOOOOOOOOOO on combining the auction adds in
with other adds). I really really would like to see announcements for
eBay and BrickLink (and any other high volume site) each in their own
group...

This makes sense, not so much because they are "high volume sites" as
because such sites have excellent search capabilities (and, in the case of
BrickLink, wanted list notifications) that make ads for Lego available
through them a waste of time for most people.

Yeah, but it's still hard to browse.  Searching is easy, I agree.  But
if you don't have a specific thing in mind, and are susceptible to
impulse buy advertising, then the flogs in .b-s-t or .brickshops or
.auction will make it easy for you to find the good deals.  However,
speaking for myself I try to avoid that kind of thing becuase impulse
buying is bad for the pocketbook :-/

Yea, I guess browsing is harder. It's easier with eBay (though
perversely, not so easy with German eBay, with US eBay when you look at
all LEGO auctions, they are or can be sorted by start date, in German
eBay, they are only sorted by ending date. Both of course have an option
to see the last 24 hours worth. When I was in high gear acquisition
mode, I would scan through the new US eBay auctions until I hit the ones
I had already browsed (which was generally the day before but not
always).

Lugnet has excellent compartmentalization that segregates all
market-type stuff to the market groups.

This is not true.

What market-type stuff is found outside the market groups?  The only
exception I can think of is lego.announce, which is OK because that's
what it was made for.

It may be a reference to the fact that while community standards, and
stated direction of the admins disallows market postings outside of
.market, the TOS do not currently disallow postings other than auctions
outside .market. Additionally, it still remains to be made clear what
kinds of market activity will be allowed in .loc or .org groups (there
ought to be allowance for such activity since I may want to advertise
that I've got this or that which I'm bringing to the next gathering to
trade that I don't want to make available to everyone or don't want to
ship or whatever).

This provides easy access to these messages but no one is forced to look
at them, either.  It is not difficult to read Lugnet all day long and
not view even one For Sale post--unless you wanted to.

That depends on the day in question.  For example, most days I can read
.castle without seeing any For Sale posts. . .but that's not because
people can't post them; it's because people in .castle will jump all over
anyone who does so.  It is not clear to me that it's better to tell
posters "we'll hate you if you post your for-sale stuff here" than to tell
them "you're in violation of the charter", but the latter isn't an option
(at least while remaining truthful).

That's how charters work.  Compartmentalization only works if the
people posting follow the rules.  Blatant disregard for the rules can
result in account revocation and/or having the messages deleted, but
that is rare.

See above, the TOS currently allow posting any market posts other than
auctions in any group. This is changing, but it has been more than a
year in the making.

Frank