 Administrative / Suggestions / 131
130  |  132
Subject:
Amended charters - message #1 and #2?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:32:52 GMT

If we do start amending charters around here, what's going to happen
to message #1 and #2 in each group?  If it still reflects the old
charter, then people will not notice the new one.

Can an old message be edited in-place by the admins to reflect the new
terms?  I still think a new message should be posted, so it will show
up as "new" for people reading the group, but the original charter
should either be modified to show the new rules, or a link to the new
charter should be added to it.  Either way, it means editing an old
message which is something NNTP is not designed for.  Would LUGNET's
NNTP server handle it OK?

Or a fancier solution would be to support the "Supersedes:" header by
having any requests for the superseded message be referred to the new
one.  So if I visited the old charter, and a new one had superseded
it, then LUGENT would deliver the new charter instead, automagically.
That's a more difficult change to make, but might be more elegant and
in keeping with the idea of the Supersedes: header (which in a
conventional NNTP environment indicates that the superseded message
should be expired from the news server).

--Bill.