 Administrative / General / 7493
Re: jump.cgi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 05:02:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Schilling writes:
  http://www.lugnet.com/mimg.cgi?200&-&5&5&1&1&1&1&4004000400X0&http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/DinoTron.jpg

This one's very fast, I would say about a second, perhaps 1 1/2 seconds.
Even the first time it was this fast.  Multiple times didn't improve the
speed at all.

OK, that makes sense.  It's only accessing one server there once the image
is cached, and then it gives you a large image file.

How about this one?--

  http://www.adequate.com/cgi/lego/links/jump.cgi?ID=299

5 seconds.

That's totally bizarre too.  Another redirection script on a completely
different site, presumably doing something very similar and simple internally,
and ultimately resulting in an HTTP 'Location:' header.

Makes me think that the problem isn't in the URL but that MSIE chokes on
'Location:' headers...very strange.

  http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?%68%74%74%70%3A%2F%2F%77%77%77%2E%79%61%68%6F%6F%2E%63%6F%6D%2F

4 to 5 second delay here too.  I think every time that jump.cgi is used I get
the delay.  I didn't get a delay with mimg.cgi, (the first link) though.

OK, that rules out the multiple "http://" occurrences, and points more
heavily toward 'Location:' chokage.

By the way, how did you get those long urls to not split across lines?

Posted via NNTP, edited in vi with 'set wrapmargin=0'.

--Todd