 Administrative / General / 7479
Re: jump.cgi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:31:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Just tried it here at work.  Our largest single pipe to the commodity
internet is a DS-3 through Qwest and that's the link I'm tracing from me
to you (actually it drops into Sprint to get to Pair).

Same delay time - up to 4 seconds.

Wow, that it soooo freaking bizarre.  And it's consistent?  Must be something
deeper and stranger going on here.

BTW, what text shows in your browser's status window while the delay is
occurring?  Does it say "contacting news.lugnet.com" or "contacting
ww.guarded-inn.com"?

It says something like opening full_lugnet_url.cgi?yadayada...

Would it be possible to make a screen shot of it and write down the exact
text?  If it's putting in underscores, that's very strange.  Browser might
be trying to resolve the URL funny-like.  Might be getting confused by the
double "http://" in the URL (it shouldn't, but it's possible).

Does the same delay occur when you use NN or Lynx or Operaa as when you use
MSIE?

What happens when you click each of these links?--

http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.loc.us.tn.knx:4

http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi%3Flugnet.loc.us.tn.knx:4

http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://news.lugnet.com/loc/us/tn/knx/?n=4

http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.yahoo.com/