 Administrative / General / 7473
Re: jump.cgi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 04:21:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Do you find the delay (I've found it to be quite noticable) to be
acceptable?  It seems to be adding somewhere between 2-3 seconds onto the
process of jumping to the intended URL.

That's very strange.  What kind of net connection are you on?  Even on a
modem, it shouldn't add more than 1/2 second.  The jump.cgi script itself
runs in the blink of an eye.

128k ISDN.  I've tried loading the same page a few times - one with just a
single 1.3k image on it and there is a noticable delay between hitting the
link then being forwarded to the target URL.  The image itself is in my cache
and should be loading without any transfer over my connection, but even if it
were being transfered, 1.3k wouldn't take 2-3 seconds.

I'd noticed this before but didn't think anything of it until I was hitting
more than a few links on a single page.  Even then, the total delay time isn't
huge, but it is noticable.

I just did a very unscientific test that probably doesn't prove anything since
I am testing a link from a local UTK site to the same URL in my .cad post
against my post to .cad.

http://web.utk.edu/~mike/testlink.html

I get no delay - literally immediate load time.  And, of course, if I go back
and forth, no delay.

From this page:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=4350

I get almost a 4 second delay before the image loads.  Even if I hit the back
button and click the same link again.

Just for kicks I switched over to another machine that hasn't loaded any of
this ever.  I went to this page:

http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/testlink.htm

and clicked on the link.  Immediately loaded the image.  I did that mainly to
test from someplace outside UTK's local network.  In fact, guarded-inn.com is
hosted at Pair just like LUGNET (well, it's on a shared system not a dedicated
one, but network-wise it is just as far away from my machine as LUGNET) so ...