 Administrative / General / 7488
Re: jump.cgi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:53:47 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Schilling writes:
What happens when you click each of these links?--

http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.loc.us.tn.knx:4

4 second delay

OK, good, then this has nothing to do with jump.cgi per se (not that I
thought it did, but it's better to be sure just in case).  You're seeing
the same thing from a different redirector.  (The display.cgi script simply
picks apart the ng name and article number and forwards the browser to the
new location.  Long ago that's the format that the URLs were in for the web
interface messages, and the forwarder is for backward compatibility with the
old URLs.)  I suspect you'd see the same delay on a search request.

This has gotta be some weird browser or TCP stack bug.  (No idea how though.)

More clues needed.

How long of a delay do you see here?--

   http://www.lugnet.com/mimg.cgi?200&-&5&5&1&1&1&1&4004000400X0&http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/DinoTron.jpg

It might be quicker the second time, since the image will be cached.  If it's
slow both times, then this is very strange since this only involves one host.
That is, you're not being redirected anywhere via an HTTP 'Location:' header.
But if it is slower, then it tells us another clue about the URLs.

How about this one?--

   http://www.adequate.com/cgi/lego/links/jump.cgi?ID=299

This does some kind of DB lookup on the ID and reports back an HTTP 'Location:'
header.

http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi%3Flugnet.loc.us.tn.knx:4

10 second delay

Interesting...approximately double the delay...two redirections.

http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://news.lugnet.com/loc/us/tn/knx/?n=4

8 second delay

Only one redirection here.

http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.yahoo.com/

About a 4 second delay.

Only one redirection here.

I did a screen capture of #2; you'll find it located temporarily at
http://www.sunteleia.com/delay/delay.gif if you want.

Thanks...this doesn't help directly yet but it might as more clues are
gathered.

3-4 seconds is just bizarre.  Makes no sense.  Almost like the browser is off
doing strange DNS requests as though it's confused by the multiple "http://"
occurrences.

Hmm...  What happens on this link?--

   http://www.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?%68%74%74%70%3A%2F%2F%77%77%77%2E%79%61%68%6F%6F%2E%63%6F%6D%2F