 Administrative / General / 7475
Re: jump.cgi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 05:31:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
From this page:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=4350
I get almost a 4 second delay before the image loads.  Even if I hit the • back
button and click the same link again.

That is soooo weird.  The jump.cgi script runs inside of 1/100 second.  On
ISDN, you really shouldn't notice more than 1/10 extra added time.  Anyone
else seeing this strange behavior?

I have a 768 DSL connection, and I also get a 4 to 5 second delay.  I've seen
this a lot recently as well, but haven't mentioned it because I wanted to see
what types of links do this.

BTW, what text shows in your browser's status window while the delay is
occurring?  Does it say "contacting news.lugnet.com" or "contacting
ww.guarded-inn.com"?

On my computer (with IE 5.5) most of the time it says "Opening page
http://news.lugnet.com/jump.cgi?http://www.guarded-inn.com/leg...".  Sometimes
the status line is completely empty, though, and then only for the briefest
instant says "Opening page..." (can't read the rest, but I assume it's the
same thing) before showing the new page.

Recently I've also seen longer wait times when clicking on the follow-up dots
on a thread.  But these aren't nearly as long as the times for links in a
post.  Once the page starts loading, it is incredibly fast.

--
  David Schilling