 Administrative / General / 7469
Re: jump.cgi
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 01:29:47 GMT

It's to analyze what links get clicked and from where (which page).  It's
something that can potentially be reported or tabulated for link listings,
etc. (see Patrick Delahanty's site listings[1], for example, which do a bit
of this), and and helps figure out which of N instances of some link are most
apt to be used, etc.  For example, do people click through to the week's
CLSotW pick from the CLSotW page, or from one of its subpages, or from a
Spotlight where the link has been transcluded?

Do you find the delay (I've found it to be quite noticable) to be acceptable?
It seems to be adding somewhere between 2-3 seconds onto the process of
jumping to the intended URL.

Dealing with that once isn't much of an issue, but as I noticed in checking
the links I made in my own post here:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=4350

doing it 5 times gets to be a little annoying.

Another benefit is that it makes is very easy to add in the future a provision
in jump.cgi to display an intermediate page notifying someone that they are
leaving lugnet.com and entering another site and that the link they have
clicked does not imply endorsement or imply that what they will find is free
of smut/etc. -- standard legal disclaimer stuff.  If a page like that • appeared,
it could include a checkbox

  [ ]  In the future, don't show this message and instead jump directly to
       the site.

just like typical warnings in end-user software packages.  That could be
governed by a client-side cookie or possibly something else.

UGHT.  Double-yuck even.