 Administrative / General / 7494
7493  |  7495
Subject:
defining proper content
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 05:46:03 GMT

I am very new to this part of lugnet but I have found a small problem that has
received my attention.  Anytime I know someone that has found a problem all
that I will ask is give a possible solution with it.  I wonder if this might
be one of those cases.

I enjoy lugnet very much and I appreciate all the effort everyone puts in to
creating this website, posting their opinions, and for taking the time to read
those postings.  The problem that I have discovered is that it is dificult
sometimes to criticize someone when you do not know the level of building they
should be at.  I am sure that no one understands what I mean by this so please
let me explain.  I have read many posts from different people and it is tough
to comment on someone's posting without knowing what level of maturity they
are or there might some topics that are too edgy for some people i.e. racial
issues with lego which is in every lugnet topic imaginable and it disgusts
me.  I am aware that this is a family based website and lego should be about
everything positive and creative and we are here to communicate which is what
I am doing right now.  What I ask is if there is some way that everyone could
post a certain age bracket so everyone knows just how old this person might be
that you could be replying to their post.  I bet some of you that are reading
this right now are wondering how old I am?  I could be 15 or 45, who knows?
The reason I ask this is there would be more tolerance at least for me if I
knew that a 14 year old was inquiring to a post instead of a 35 year old.  I
also believe that this would also offer better constructive criticzism (sorry
I am not the greatest speller) towards certain people and help their abilities
grow.

I know that their are some great 14 year olds that build legos and some 38
year olds that do a fairly good job themselves but by me knowing someone's
experience with lego and their level maturity this would further help me in
writing a better much more fair reply to that post.  I'm not saying that this
is a no kids group or I personally would have never discovered lego and I have
seen some kids do a much better job than I but I do not want to criticze
someone that doesn't have the experience or maturity to handle certain
issues.

Someone please tell me if I am beating a dead horse or not making any sense.
I am not asking anyone to limit lugnet what so ever but make everyone aware
either how old someone is, create some sort of profile with each person who is
set up with lugnet, or when someone posts have an age bracket showing which
bracket this person fits into.  I wish to communicate with everyone as fair as
possible.  Is this possible or impossible?  If anyone has an opinion on my
idea please reply so I can learn from it.  I personally enjoy lugnet everyday
and thank those who help and if this is not the forum please let me know but
tell me what you think, thank you.

-Michael L. Perri

PS  and I am 20 years old for anyone that was wondering