 Administrative / General / 7495
Re: defining proper content
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 06:21:32 GMT

"Michael Perri" <zerog270@aol.com> wrote in message
news:FzBK0r.462@lugnet.com...
I enjoy lugnet very much and I appreciate all the effort everyone puts in • to
creating this website, posting their opinions, and for taking the time to • read
those postings.  The problem that I have discovered is that it is dificult
sometimes to criticize someone when you do not know the level of building • they
should be at.  I am sure that no one understands what I mean by this so • please
let me explain.  I have read many posts from different people and it is • tough
to comment on someone's posting without knowing what level of maturity • they
are or there might some topics that are too edgy for some people i.e. • racial
issues with lego which is in every lugnet topic imaginable and it disgusts
me.  I am aware that this is a family based website and lego should be • about
everything positive and creative and we are here to communicate which is • what
I am doing right now.

I've noticed, and so has everyone else I've spoken with, that LUGNET is very
on edge and people are quick to lash out at each other.  Overall a tense
environment which is not very welcoming, and something really does need to
change.

What I ask is if there is some way that everyone could
post a certain age bracket so everyone knows just how old this person • might be
that you could be replying to their post.  I bet some of you that are • reading
this right now are wondering how old I am?  I could be 15 or 45, who • knows?
The reason I ask this is there would be more tolerance at least for me if • I
knew that a 14 year old was inquiring to a post instead of a 35 year old. • I
also believe that this would also offer better constructive criticzism • (sorry
I am not the greatest speller) towards certain people and help their • abilities
grow.

I think this is an excellent idea and it would help us all in discussing
things online.  I know that by following a particular person, one can
usually read them enough to determine their general age and/or education
level.  So, if you know a person's stuff well enough, you can try to target
something towards their level of understanding.  But sometimes you just have
no clue, and this would be a good tool to foster better, less offensive and
misdirected communication with each other on Lugnet.

I know that their are some great 14 year olds that build legos and some 38
year olds that do a fairly good job themselves but by me knowing someone's
experience with lego and their level maturity this would further help me • in
writing a better much more fair reply to that post.  I'm not saying that • this
is a no kids group or I personally would have never discovered lego and I • have
seen some kids do a much better job than I but I do not want to criticze
someone that doesn't have the experience or maturity to handle certain
issues.

Yep.  There have been times I've been quick to criticize early on, but feel
bad when I discover the person is really young or doesn't have as much
knowledge or as advanced ideas.  Again, this is a very good idea for a
helping extra to posting on Lugnet.

Someone please tell me if I am beating a dead horse or not making any
sense.

Perhaps some thoughts could be clarified, but I think you are on the right
track.  For some age bracket ideas, how about this:

Under 10
11-14
15-17
18-25
25-35
45-55
55+

Kinda vague, but gives ample distinction in general maturity levels.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne