 Administrative / General / 7507
Re: defining proper content
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 17:59:06 GMT

"Matthew Miller" <mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote in message
news:slrn8piho1.f4u.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu...
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:

Under 10 11-14 15-17 18-25 25-35 45-55 55+ • [above lines compressed into one]
Kinda vague, but gives ample distinction in general maturity levels.

Wait a sec -- in a recent huge flamefest, wasn't it widely held that age • has
nothing to do with maturity?

You should make the attempt to understand what I'm saying, versus trying to
pick an argument.  I said _general_ - obviously meaning that we're not
dealing with concrete levels.  Mike and I discussed this last night when I
was at his place.  We both thought it was a good idea, because sometimes
people are clueless to who they're dealing with.  And heck, its better than
making an individual or a panel making a case-by-case judgment on them,
isn't it?

The point is, an indicator like this helps people respond appropriately to
other people.  Its unfortunate when someone grinds a kid into the ground
because they were thought to be 'mature enough to handle it' or 'an adult.'
That's what it can prevent here.  It can also prevent unnecessary rough
criticism of a posted model, if the respondant knows the age level, they can
more accurately know what to expect out of them.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne