 Administrative / General / 7514
Re: defining proper content
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 21:54:03 GMT

I have found that since I have stopped going into off.topic.debate, I • am
lot calmer, and seem to relax a lot more. : )

Yeah.  I did that about a year and a half ago and it made a difference.
Though o-t.debate is somehwat necessary, I think that its destructive in
nature.  That's the effect I've observed with myself, at least.

It is very distructive, and I found that I was thinking about it all the
time, and I decided to drop it. It is a healthy move, IMO. I rather discuss
LEGO items more than anything.

I think healthy discussion is fine, especially since the brick is a good
chunk of life, but I try to focus on good things, and try to compliment
people on their tryings. Constructive suggestions on design are good, • but
insults are not wanted or needed, in this arena or others.

Yeah.  But even getting deeper than that into plan offensive posts (I • won't
list specifics) is irritating and doesn't foster goodwill here.  But the • age
group suggestion, take it or leave it.  I think its a plus, others think • its
a minus.  It could be one of those experiments, like the article rating
system...over time it could get refined.

Yes, there have been many plain offensive posts. Whether or not it is a
culture issue, or plain bad taste, I think people need to be wary of the
LUGNET conditions, in terms of swearing and the like. There has been some
flare ups of that.

In terms of this age concept, I would not post anything I would question a
ten year old to read. The age thing might work, but I think people should be
a little more courteous, polite, etc., so we wouldn't need this. But I
digress, since I don't see that happening. I think some parts of LUGNET are
getting coarser, as the membership widens. Having more members is good, but
we might need some clarification on T & C, or a redefinition, to make sure
we are all on the same page.

Scott S.
--
Systems Administrator-Affiliated Engineers -> http://www.aeieng.com
Want LEGO Parts at Great Prices? Visit The Sanburn Systems Company!