 Administrative / General / 7328
Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 14:39:28 GMT

Well, I'm about at wit's end here on this one, although possibly I may have
found a workaround.

Anyway, tinkering with returning different values didn't help any on my test
system (Win98 + MSIE5 under Virtual PC).  However, I think I may have found a
workaround which avoids the MIME issue altogether:  it embeds the launch code
into a JavaScript section in the HTML page using <SCRIPT>, and then during the
onSubmit event of the form, it checks the selection and does its stuff based
on that.

Anyway, to make a long story short, for MSIE users, here's a page to try out!

  http://www.lugnet.com/quickset/testsearch.html

The upshot of this is that if it works, it works on both MSIE and NN without
any special browser-detection kludgery of any kind, plus it probably pulls up
the little launched window a split-second quicker on both browsers.

--Todd

p.s.  BTW, if this works, then I can have the form point to an error page for
the "Popup" selection when someone has JavaScript disabled.  That way they'd
see an explanation (with helpful suggestions) rather than an "unrecognized
MIME type" dialog box.

Todd,

I tried it and it fixed my problem.

Thanks,