 Administrative / General / 7300
Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:05:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Martin writes:
I tried quickset, but other applications kept stealing the browser window it
ran in.  [...]

Hmm, IIRC, someone else once mentioned something like that -- under MSIE, yes?
Perhaps I'm launching the windows wrong.  It's using TARGET="_blank", which I
changed from originally TARGET="_new" at someone's technical advisory.

Yes, under MSIE

Could you try something for me with your browser?  What happens when you type
in a set number at the LUGNET homepage (with the "Popup" item selected) and
click the Search button multiple times?  (Wait like 5 or 10 seconds between
each click.)  Does it open multiple windows or does it refresh the first one
multiple times?  It's supposed to give you a separate window for each search
from that page when "Popup" is selected.

I can't even get one window up.  I get a JavaScript error.

BTW, when you say "other applications kept stealing..." do you literally mean
other apps or do you mean other sites within your browser?  I wonder, if the
web browser is built into so many apps under Windows these days, and if other
apps accidentally use "blank" instead of "_blank"...  "blank" is a *named*
window[1] while "_blank" is a special directive for an *unnamed* window.  :)

--Todd

[1] Anyone know whether "blank" is actually interpreted wrongly by any
browsers as "_blank" ?

What I wanted to do is leave the quickset window running all the time.  What
happened was that when ever that was the only browser running, an app that
wanted to display some html would steal it.  For instance clicking on
something in RealPlayer or ICQ.

Steve