 Administrative / General / 7294
Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 19:08:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Martin writes:
I tried quickset, but other applications kept stealing the browser window it
ran in.  [...]

Hmm, IIRC, someone else once mentioned something like that -- under MSIE, yes?
Perhaps I'm launching the windows wrong.  It's using TARGET="_blank", which I
changed from originally TARGET="_new" at someone's technical advisory.

Could you try something for me with your browser?  What happens when you type
in a set number at the LUGNET homepage (with the "Popup" item selected) and
click the Search button multiple times?  (Wait like 5 or 10 seconds between
each click.)  Does it open multiple windows or does it refresh the first one
multiple times?  It's supposed to give you a separate window for each search
from that page when "Popup" is selected.

Also, I think I goofed up the TARGET= attribute in one place -- the index.html
file at the /quickset/ page.  I used "blank" instead of "_blank", which is
definitely wrong but I can't predict how other apps would behave relative to
it.  (I fixed this now.  Still works in Netscape Navigator.)

BTW, when you say "other applications kept stealing..." do you literally mean
other apps or do you mean other sites within your browser?  I wonder, if the
web browser is built into so many apps under Windows these days, and if other
apps accidentally use "blank" instead of "_blank"...  "blank" is a *named*
window[1] while "_blank" is a special directive for an *unnamed* window.  :)

--Todd

[1] Anyone know whether "blank" is actually interpreted wrongly by any
browsers as "_blank" ?