 Administrative / General / 12930
Re: Context: LUGNET is not a democracy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 01:29:45 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Butler wrote:
   Well first off I would like to apologize to Duane, I wasn't specifically
refering to you, nor did I mean to imply you were childish, but instead I meant
people getting really mad over lego issues is silly.  I guess I was trying to
say that life is much larger than lego (even if it is our favorite toy).
   Secondly, I know that you were objecting to it being spotlighted and I
understand your point.  But I think that the solution here is not arguing about
what should be on spotlight or shouldn't, but instead changing the system.
There should be a prominently placed spotlight section that is only for MOCs and
there should also be a place for spotlights for debates (maybe not as prominent
but still on the front page).  I don't care if you put MOCs first and give them
5 or 10 slots, and only give the debate section 1 or 2, but having both might
make everyone happy (that is probably an impossible goal).
   This solution would avoid making people who wanted to see MOCs read debates,
but it would still let the debaters do their thing.  Also, and this I think is
crucial, it would avoid all the cries of censorship back and forth, and by doing
so would help take some of the pressure off of our admins.  Why can't this work?
   I don't mean to be rude or beat a dead horse, and I apologize for introducing
myself to the lego community in the middle of a fight.  I really wanted my first
post to be all about the castle I am working on...

I just asked in the admin.suggestions for the ability to prevent or remove
highlights for any of my posts.  I would have much rather kept this local to
admin.general.

I think the discussion was important for LUGNET, but not good to subject all of
LUGNET with.

Another idea was, how come we can't vote to unhighlight.  Currently the only
thing we can do is highlight. I'll suggest this over in admin.suggest.

Jake

Kevin