 Administrative / General / 12927
Re: Context: LUGNET is not a democracy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:03:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Butler wrote:
I can't imagine that an 8 year old would pay any attention at all to this
discussion.  The only people who care about this are the adults acting like
children, not children themselves.  I can't for the life of me understand why
people having a discussion (even if it is a bit testy and at times rude) on a
forum is a bad thing.  I might be totally wrong but I thought that forums were
places where people could discuss things, even unpleasant things.  If you don't
like these discussions don't read them.  I am sure an 8 year old is smart enough
to figure that out, why should we censor discussions for their theoretical
benefit.  I don't want to take sides here, since I am a relatively new member,
but I do support both sides right to debate.
     I come to lugnet to see fabulous new MOC's but I also sometimes enjoy
reading about all the personal problems that you guys have :)  My advice (which
I am sure you all don't need) is to say your sorry, take a deep breath and build
with some legos.  After you have done that if you still want to argue go right
ahead, these petty disagreements can be awfully entertaining.

Jake

I didn't have an issue with the post(1) or the language in it so much as its
appearance in the Spotlight section. It was posted to the .admin hierarchy which
in and of itself limits the number of people paying attention to it IMO. And as
has been pointed out, has to do with an admin(2). But it has remained in the
Spotlight area for at least two days now. I feel that it is especially egregious
since the Spotlight feature is prominently displayed on LUGNET's home page and
newsgroup page. It sets a bad precedent(3) and presents a bad image to those
exploring LUGNET for the first time.

Call me childish if you wish - that's your prerogative. I read and reply as I
see fit.

-Duane

(1) http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12823
(2) http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12827
(3) Profanity is a subjective thing. So is what people consider Spotlight
worthy. Unfortunately, both have come into play here and that is what I'm
concerned about.