 Administrative / General / 12835
Re: Context: LUGNET is not a democracy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:05:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
The P&P and ToU
already define everything as priveledges, but this means they can be taken away.
Rights cannot be taken away.

I think that's accurate, yes.

I should have the right to fair and just treatement by the LTT and the Admin
team.

Playing devil's advocate, I would ask why you would expect that as a right? It's
not a right I think you would expect from most other people. For example, I
don't expect fair and just treatment from the person driving next to me; they
can (and do) behave any way they feel like. They SHOULD treat me fairly and
respect my presence on the road, but that doesn't always happen. I simply have
to trust that the other driver won't decide to kill me with their car.

I sincerely believe all members SHOULD be treated to fair and just treatment by
those in charge of LUGNET. But nobody can guarantee that, and I don't believe
it's realistic to expect it as an absolute right.

Is that a priveledge?  I don't think so.  Permanent banning of me can be
fair and just treatment.  The right to fair and just treatement is not the same
as being a priveledge for a member.  Priveledge defines what a member can and
cannot do, not how they are to be treated.

"Fair" and "just" are subjective terms. Since "fair" and "just" are a matter of
opinion, there's never any correct answer. That's why admin concepts need to be
based on a set of rules, rather than on a more general notion of fairness. I can
try to do what I see as fair, but I need to act on what's defined by the rules.

Even though you don't agree about Larry's character, have you heard how many
people do?  We speak in hopes that we may be heard, risking the wrath of the
very people we critique.

Yes, we are aware that some people have a problem with the way Larry expresses
himself.

Does the ToU really apply member to member when one of the members is acting in
the role of admin?  I don't think so.

It's my interpretation that the ToU applies to all members at all times. In
fact, the P&P defines a tighter set of expectations for staff members than the
ToU. If a member has an issue with an admin's actions, for example, there are
certainly ways of expressing it without personal attacks that violate the ToU.

We need a separate set of rules to define
member to admin, and admin to member positing priveledges, because the situation
is not at all the same.

More rules may not necessarily solve the core issue.

This is the "gray area" I was talking about, and is something that should be
addressed by LUGNET staff.

Regards,
Kelly McKiernan
LUGNET Administrator