 Administrative / General / 12913
Re: Context: LUGNET is not a democracy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:05:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
The reason it's stated in such a way stems from the current structure of LUGNET
ownership... Todd and Suzanne are the owners of record for the server and
infrastructure, and it's their choice as to how the site is managed. With both
these individuals choosing to step back, they've authorized some people,
including Larry, myself, Frank, and a few others to continue what they've
started. But when it all comes down to it, should Todd or Suzanne wish to email
me saying, "Kelly, thank you for your work, but I think it's best you no longer
serve as an admin," I would no longer be an admin. Simple as that. If the site
owners wanted to implement different processes or procedures, with or without
feedback from the membership or admin team, they could. The P&P documents work
from that fundamental assumption. The language regarding unanimous admin
consensus to remove another admin is a safety valve more than anything else, and
even that can be overridden by a site owner.

In other words, we should complain to Todd and Suzanne directly?  Either that or
hope that the day will come when Todd and Suzanne will "let go" of Lugnet so
that Lugnet really can become more democratic.

Note that I mean no disrespect for either Todd or Suzanne (I've been posting
here since the very beginnings of Lugnet and participated in several AucZilla's
before they came to an end).  But it seems that Lugnet is gaining a life of its
own since they long ago laid the foundations for this community.

The society that's been fostered by the initial work of Todd & Suzanne has been
very open, and as pointed out in other threads, Todd has always been very
welcoming of feedback and suggestions. It's also true that the current admin
team has had the appearance, at least, of not being as open to suggestion and
feedback. I do think it's vital for this community to feel that it has a voice
in how things happen, and that the feedback process needs to be expanded and
solidified. But it's also important to remember that this is a choice of the
site owners. The openness they instilled in the community was a conscious
decision on their part.

It certainly is unfortunate that the current situation seems less open, yet the
justification for it being closed comes from the retention of ownership by the
two people who used to make Lugnet feel more open than it feels today.

This is a sorry, strange state of affairs.

There is a small portion of the P&P that does address member grievance and
appeal process, but it's apparent by this conversation that it needs some
serious revision.

I find this to be a very open, honest, and positive statement and is certainly a
step in the right direction.

Jeff