 Trains / 4089
Subject:
8 vs. 6 (was: Excited to Finally be here...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:30:18 GMT

I have a question about the 8 vs. 6 wide. It revolves around the track
width.
    Given that the 8 wide is approximately related to O scale, what width do
the tracks suggest the scale to be? Personally, I have never seen a train
that was only as wide as the outside rails of a track. (Maybe I have bad
eyes.) They always seem to stick out a bit on either side. To me the 8 wide
seems to be the appropriate scale given the fixed width of the track and
obviously the fixed width of the wheels. (This is not even mentioning that
with 25% more width you can put more detail and accuracy into your model.) I
am having a hard time understanding the two opposing arguments. Why doesn't
everyone embrace the 8 wide idea? Comments? Answers?

-Nick

(As an aside, did you notice that by changing the subject heading, someone
is no longer excited to be here? I guess the 6 vs. 8 debate brings out the
worst in all of us.<g>)

John Neal wrote in message <38A03351.D47A285A@uswest.net>...
Carrie-

I thought that you might think Scott's admonition rather cryptic so I • thought I'd clarify
for you.  But first, welcome!  I think it is an exciting time to be a • trainiac:-)

Now, about the 8 wide crack;-)  some of us aren't happy with the toyish • scale of the LEGO
trains.  I mean come on, a train that is only 1 minifig wide?!!  In order • to correct that
some, I build my LEGO train 8 studs wide, which gives IMNSHO a better • looking and better
proportioned train car.  By doing so, the scale *roughly* comes out to be • 1:48 or "O" scale
to Model Railroaders.  It's still minifig scale with a little more • breathing room;-)

A few examples of my 8 wides can be found on the GMLUG site: • http://www.gmlug.org/j2/
Whether you build 6 or 8 wide though doesn't matter, just build{:^D

<cut>

Re: 8 vs. 6 (was: Excited to Finally be here...)