 Trains / 18003
Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:45:36 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
With my SD40-2 (Rio Grande) I kind of took the middle road and put 6 • wheels
in the back and used the 4 wheel train motor in the front. I know it's • not
exact, but we do have to work with in the limits of LEGO parts. I did try
match the fans and side vents the best I could. Orginally they were going • to
be SD40Ts but a T unit (tunnel) has the side vents down low and the Rio
Grande decal wouldn't work if I did that....so I just made them into • SD40s

Just one question.  I am wondering if you thought about using unpowered 3 • axel
trucks for both the front an back and putting the motors on the first car
behind the engines to push?  If you didn't I was wondering why.  If you • did
were there problems you encountered with the pushing.  Also did the 3 axel
trucks have problems on the corners?

One word pretty much. POWER. I need juice for my lights and fans. Also I can
do a trick with the controller to disconnect the engine from the first car.
So I can play shunter. :-)

I did have the rear wheels at a 3 axle configuration but didn't like the
look, it didn't flow. So I put two motors in it. This makes it look uniform.
This engine also has so little friction that it can pull an enormous amount
of rolling stock.

Dean