 Trains / 17997
Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:54:29 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

But not all 3 axle trucks have 3 motors. Some are A1A trucks with an idler
center axle and have only 2. I am pretty sure I've seen pictures of some
loco originally built as an A1A-A1A riding on B-B trucks.

I've seen weirder...
A Henschel prototype built in the late seventies was converted from
Co'Co' (2 bogies, 3 axles each. 3 motors/bogie) for Dutch Railways into
the type 3'1A1' (that's two bogies with 3 axles each. Only one motor,
driving the center axle in one bogie) They tried testing asynchone
electric engines but only had one motor that fitted.
Ran pathetic and was sent back very soon though

Many of the newer electric engines built by Alsthom in France these days
have only one (much bigger) electric motor per bogie. Apparently this
gives more power and is cheaper too. (French 7200, 15000 class, Dutch
1600/1700 class for instance)
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net