 Trains / 17988
Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:55:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Koudys writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

truck is pretty fundamental.  Dean can call his MOC a *steam* engine if he
wants to, but at some point it would be a misnomer, as would calling it an
"SD".

The *only* problem with that is TLC made their 9V electric train motor with
2 axles and not 3.  I have seen some pretty good MOCs that get around this
issue, but none of them seem to sit right on a 6 wide--what I noticed anyway.

So until we get a nicely designed truck with 3 axles that looks good for a 6
wide, it's nitpicky to say an engine "can't be whatever because it only has
2 axle trucks instead of 3."

I don't think it will ever come, and I hope it never comes, and here's why:  To
design a 6 wheeled truck, you need to make the spacing between the wheels
pretty short in order for the truck to negotiate the tight LEGO track curves, a
la the 12 volt motor that had the insertable middle wheel.  The problem is that
that short of spacing, while looking good for a "toy" train looks terrible if
one is trying to model, albeit even remotely, a prototype.  Even prototypical
diesel 3 axle trucks articulate, and so a newly designed motor isn't necessary,
or even desired, IMO.

As far as nitpicks go, would you call it nickpicky to question someone who
called a diesel a "steam engine"?  My point is that there are degrees of nits--
numbers of fans is relatively minor, and number of wheels is relatively major.
For example, a steam loco is *named* by its wheel configuration, so you just
can't call a "4-8-4" a "4-6-2"-- it's just fundamentally wrong.  Likewise, you
can't call a MOC a "Pacific" (which had a wheel config of 4-6-2) and have built
it with a 4-4-2 (Atlantic) wheel configuration.

Anyone can build a choo-choo, and make it anything they want, and call it
anything they want.  But if they decide to make a *certain* choo-choo, then
they must build in certain elements that are elemental to that certain
choo-choo.  Wheel configuration is about as elemental a discriptor for a
locomotive as you can get.

-John