 Trains / 18000
Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:26:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

If it was anyone else posting the above I'd let it go.. or just post a "yep,
well said" because most of the points are valid. BUT, since apparently J2 is
identifying himself as a nitpicker, I have to point out that there is almost
certainly a prototype for a 6 axle (as built locomotive) on 4 axle trucks...
somewhere.

Interesting challenge.  I would be willing to bet that there isn't an example
for the reasons you stated and others.  It would certainly *look* odd, with
large gaps from truck to steps and so on.  Let's bet lunch on it and keep an
eye out for one:-)

I am going to retract a bit on my rant about wheel configuration here.

Say someone wants to model a famous locomotive like Thomas.  We all know Thomas
had 3 axles, but do we really need to give him 6 wheels to create an MOC that
says "Thomas"?  I don't think so.

Likewise, a few years ago John Gerlach of the GMLTC modeled a famous
streamlined steam engine on the Milwaukee Road which pulled the Hiawatha.
Although the actual engine he was modeling was a Hudson (4-6-4 wheel
configuration), he used a 4-4-4 in his MOC.  Even though his wheel
configuration was technically incorrect, it was obvious to a trainhead, through
coloration and other details, what John was actually modeling.

Actually the Hiawathas were 4-4-2 Atlantic types, so John wasn't that far off...
http://www.trains.com/Content/Dynamic/Articles/000/000/001/802vypso.asp
-Harvey

So I would say that if there are other distinguishing characteristics of an MOC
that identify it as a particular prototype, than wheel configuration may be
less important an indicator (if your only intent is to generally model a given
prototype).

But then of course you leave yourself open to the criticism of the *real* rivet
counters;-)

-John