 Trains / 17991
Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:19:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Anyone can build a choo-choo, and make it anything they want, and call it
anything they want.  But if they decide to make a *certain* choo-choo, then
they must build in certain elements that are elemental to that certain
choo-choo.  Wheel configuration is about as elemental a discriptor for a
locomotive as you can get.

If it was anyone else posting the above I'd let it go.. or just post a "yep,
well said" because most of the points are valid. BUT, since apparently J2 is
identifying himself as a nitpicker, I have to point out that there is almost
certainly a prototype for a 6 axle (as built locomotive) on 4 axle trucks...
somewhere. It is not impossible to retruck something although it is a lot of
work because of the wiring to the traction motors and the motor blower ducts
etc, etc. that all need to get rerouted.

But not all 3 axle trucks have 3 motors. Some are A1A trucks with an idler
center axle and have only 2. I am pretty sure I've seen pictures of some
loco originally built as an A1A-A1A riding on B-B trucks.

You're referring to the Seaboard Air Line ALCO RSC2's which were retrucked
from A1A-A1A to BB, I believe the Milwaukee Road did the same...

As to WHY there are 4 axle and 6 axle units in the first place, it has to do
with axle loadings, motor ratings (tractive force), the maximum traction
that a single motor can transfer to the rails via a single axle and two
wheels, and a host of other factors, although if the Canadians want to think
it's because they're special, that's OK too. :-)

++Lar