 Trains / 17992
Re: Replacing train motor tires!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:24:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
Wow! Thast's the first time I've ever heard of that. I noticed those rubber
tires on the motors before, wondered about the life span etc... but kaboom!
What an idea!

I agree. It's a great idea. And I like the look of the bicycles with the
thinner tire, too. I changed two motors right away and there's no question,
the traction is improved immensely. I changed the Santa Fe 'A' unit and my
'B' unit, and the wheels went from slipping to no slippage at all.

However, it makes the Santa Fe run worse.

Here's my setup: a Santa Fe engine, with a single weight brick over the
motor, a run-of-the-mill 'B' engine (motor in front, one weight brick),
followed by five stock Santa Fe cars, one of each. Before I made Ben's
change, the engines would slip miserably, but barely pull the train through
the circuit. After I made Ben's change, the train completely stalled at
several points. In both cases, the controller was on full voltage. One stall
had the engine directly over the controller clips.

The track layout is about forty feet in a contorted figure eight on level
ground. The stalls mostly happened when the rear of the train was all on
curved track. There are two level crossings; one crossing derailed the 'B'
engine once. There are two track 'x' crossings; the wheels of the trailing
cars made a terrible "ka-chunk" sounds when they went through the crossings.

The engines initially lurched forward when starting out, so I immediately
checked both motors to make sure the wheels turned freely, and that the
rubber tires were on evenly and securely. I took one passenger car off, and
it still ran poorly. With three cars, it ran OK. But with five cars, the
engines jump forward erratically rather than roll smoothly or freely. Oddly,
they run better backwards than forwards.

I examined some of the cars wheelsets, and noticed that when the wheels
spin, they make a tick-tick-tick sound. I couldn't see what was making the
noise. In all fairness, I need to switch out all of the wheelsets to old
ones to see if that train runs well. I haven't done that yet.

I'd be interested in hearing how others stock Santa Fe + cars run.

Cary