 Trains / 17980
Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:50:31 GMT

James Powell wrote:

The short answer is that it doesn't matter.  As long as you pick a
reasonable figure per inch of car, then they should track reasonably well.
The heavier the cars, the less likely they are to derail (all other things
being equal).  But, the more TE required to pull them, requiring more
motors.  I have never run into big problems with lego cars except on very
long trains (~50 cars and more), when light (IE piggyback cars made from the
drop center plates) tend to derail on the corners. At more typical train
sizes (5-20 cars), I haven't had problems, but I tend towards smaller cars
than some other people here (Hi Larry, yep, its Eurotrash!).

Euro-trash? Care to explain?? :D

As for weight... one weight brick per 9v engine block seems to work fine
for me. I refitted my 7760 with a 9v block and it ran great, a LOT
stronger than my 4563 engine. After fitting the 4563 with one weight
brick, difference became a lot smaller.
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions    | http://www.vanree.net