 Trains / 17953
Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 04:20:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D'Urbano writes:
Hi, I'm not a LEGO trains expert so I'm curious to see other people's
opinions on this.  I should make a point to say that I'm thrilled that LEGO
Direct has provided the ATSF products, and my theories are just for
curiosity sake, not to imply criticism of anything in any way:

I'm in the same boat, not a train expert but had  the same thoughts as your
posting.

I'm wondering why LEGO Direct decided to offer two locomotives in the Santa
Fe Train Kit (K10022).  I assume I'm not the only one who did the math and
found if you use the Trains catalog code and get the five cars for $148
(US), you can add two locos at $40 each and have the same as the kit for the
same price (technically a buck cheaper: US $228 vs $229).  So my question
is, if you're not saving any money by having the second loco in the kit, why
is it there?

My thoughts exactly when I saw the offer.

Here's my list of possible theories:

1) Cynical Opinion:  Get this out of the way first since I did consider this
but I don't agree.  Theory: TLC just wants to get an extra $40 purchase out
of the newbies and folks who haven't gotten the trains catalog and aren't
savvy enough to find the code here in LUGNET posts.  I don't think this
makes sense because if someone's a trains newbie they'd have to buy the
tracks, controller, and motor(s), which will add up $$$ really quick.  The
second engine is an extra $40 hurdle for an already expensive proposition.

Naahhh!!!! Hope not.

2) Artistic Decision:  They offer two locos because in their artistic
opinion, this is what a full LEGO Santa Fe train SHOULD have.  Perhaps, they
think it looks better (or more correct) having two A-units, especially with
no official B-unit available.  Other hand, since many fans already have one
loco, they could offer the kit with a single loco and then say "add this kit
to the engine you already have to get the real experience..." and show a
picture of their ideal in the catalog.

Artistically you still need the B-unit to create the piece de la resistance.

3) Horsepower:  I wasn't sure if this made sense until I recently read Cary
Clark's disappointing review of a full Super Chief train's track performance:
   http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=17905
Maybe LEGO Direct has done the test runs and realized that you need two
locos with a motor each to make the train run as smooth as it should.  My
"on the other hand" to this may reveal my own ignorance, but couldn't you
get the same effect by putting two motors in one engine?

When we used three motors to power two engines and five rail cars at our
recent RichLug train show,  they  seemed underpowered and barely made it
around the 45 degree curves. One motor couldn't power an engine and two rail
cars around our carefully leveled oval.

4) Pending B-Unit:  I'm hoping this is it because I'd love to see an
official B-unit set or add-on kit.  To offer a B-unit conversion kit, LEGO
Direct may need to provide the market data to show that there would be
interest.  What better data than the list of customers who have bought the
Santa Fe Train Kit, have two locos, and would have a good reason to shell
out a few more bucks for a kit to turn their second loco into a B-Unit?

We pondered a possible B-Unit kit from LEGO. I think I will wait for the kit
for another year before I resort to building one from one engine and
Bricklink parts.

I look forward to seeing other opinions on these theories, or theories of
your own.  No criticism to LEGO Direct here.  Keep the great sets coming and
sell them in whatever way that makes sense to you!

Thanks,
Paul

I'm not surprised that I'm the first person to respond to your post. Those
of us who are not "experts" are usually ignored when we post in this venue.
I hope to see other responses to your insights. I too am enthusiatic about
the new trains (and Legends sets) available at LEGO Direct. I know the new
Santa Fe line has glitches, but  I sure  like this direction that LEGO has
chosen.

Bert Waters