 Trains / 17964
Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories // ignorance in lugnet.trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 19:02:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
I think noone is ignored by the 'old train experts', but the online community
of Lego fans has grown to a size, where we older ones are not too enthusiastic
any longer, if a newbie pops up out of the nowhere and that may apear
like ignorance sometimes.....

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your insightful response.  When I placed my original post I
wondered if anyone would reply at all.  I assumed that it would only depend
on the content of my post being something people cared to comment on.
Bert's comment suggested that the experts would deliberately ignore me,
regardless of the content, which was disappointing since the amazing things
that these same experts have achieved with LEGO trains is what inspired me
to try to participate in this community in the first place.  From reading
your response I understand now how the complex social dynamics of a group
like this (of humans in general) could give the impression that we're being
ignored when in fact there's nothing deliberate going on.  I've never been
involved with an online or fan community to any great extent so I've never
considered how the community evolves in the way you described.  It all makes
sense.

Thanks again,
Paul

PS:

I hope my bad way of English has been clear enough to give you an impression
on my point of view.

I had no problem with your English but you might want to be careful with the
word "ignorance."  It normally doesn't mean "state of being ignored", but
instead means "state of being ignorant," which means having a lack of
knowledge or understanding and sometimes implies "stupidity."  I knew from
context what you meant, but a casual reader might think you were insulting
someone.