 Trains / 17969
Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 23:50:28 GMT

- engines benefit from more weight, up to a point... additional weight
(especially over the drivers) gives additional traction/adhesion. The 4561
is a canonical (counter) example of this, it is so light it can't hardly
move itself much less very many cars. Rubber helps but is not a panacea,
just an aid.

Quite right.  This is why the model scales have brass flywheels on top of
the motors.  As for the rubber, we need actual traction tires (with treads)
on the wheels, not just wrapped rubber bands.

What the best weights are is not clear to me. This info has been calculated
for other gauges like HO and N.

You can find the NMRA RPs for weight here:

http://www.nmra.org/standards/rp-20_1.html

They've also introduced scale-wide standards for modules and DCC.

Hope that helps.

-Stefan-