 Trains / 17972
Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 04:18:05 GMT

Quite right.  This is why the model scales have brass flywheels on top of
the motors.  As for the rubber, we need actual traction tires (with treads)
on the wheels, not just wrapped rubber bands.

Figure for steel wheels/steel rail is that you can get 1/4th the weight on
drivers as TE.  More for a modern DE loco with anti-slip and AC motors (more
like 1/3rd).  As regards traction tyres, no, we don't need them.  What is
there should work well enough, given the limits of having to power the motor
from the rails.

What the best weights are is not clear to me. This info has been calculated
for other gauges like HO and N.

The short answer is that it doesn't matter.  As long as you pick a
reasonable figure per inch of car, then they should track reasonably well.
The heavier the cars, the less likely they are to derail (all other things
being equal).  But, the more TE required to pull them, requiring more
motors.  I have never run into big problems with lego cars except on very
long trains (~50 cars and more), when light (IE piggyback cars made from the
drop center plates) tend to derail on the corners. At more typical train
sizes (5-20 cars), I haven't had problems, but I tend towards smaller cars
than some other people here (Hi Larry, yep, its Eurotrash!).

James Powell