 Trains / 17949
  My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

Hi, I'm not a LEGO trains expert so I'm curious to see other people's opinions on this. I should make a point to say that I'm thrilled that LEGO Direct has provided the ATSF products, and my theories are just for curiosity sake, not to imply (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) I'm in the same boat, not a train expert but had the same thoughts as your posting. (...) My thoughts exactly when I saw the offer. (...) Naahhh!!!! Hope not. (...) Artistically you still need the B-unit to create the piece de la resistance. (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Glad to know its not just me who was puzzled by this. (...) Man, every story I hear gets me more depressed! I don't own any ATSF stuff yet. I decided to wait for the cars to come out and an LD "kit" offer since my LEGO budget is limited. I now (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories // ignorance in lugnet.trains?

(...) [snip] I have poured more than enough fire into the quality issue.... (...) Hi Paul, I think noone is ignored by the 'old train experts', but the online community of Lego fans has grown to a size, where we older ones are not too enthusiastic (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories // ignorance in lugnet.trains?

(...) Hi Ben, Thanks for your insightful response. When I placed my original post I wondered if anyone would reply at all. I assumed that it would only depend on the content of my post being something people cared to comment on. Bert's comment (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) My observation : Most LEGO engines are simply too light! The motor has more power, but it can't be transferred onto the track because of the lack of grip. With my 4551 Crocodiles and my MOC DB211 I added some weight bricks, as found in old 12v (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) I am thinking that there is a FAQ entry in here somewhere on weight. I am pressed for time but - engines benefit from more weight, up to a point... additional weight (especially over the drivers) gives additional traction/adhesion. The 4561 is (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories // ignorance in lugnet.trains?

(...) enthusiastic (...) I too learned a lot from a quite eloquent lecture on the dynamics of this community. I guess I was just hoping that more people would respond to Paul's post. The questions Paul raised were similar to my own. After reading (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Quite right. This is why the model scales have brass flywheels on top of the motors. As for the rubber, we need actual traction tires (with treads) on the wheels, not just wrapped rubber bands. (...) You can find the NMRA RPs for weight here: (...) (22 years ago, 9-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Speaking of conversion kits, I just thought of a crazy idea; What about offering a conversion kit for the A unit to make it an Alco FA-2 or PA-1? Engines existed for both in the warbonnet scheme, and it doesn't take many bricks to change it. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Dude! ...that would be great for a Babyface Centipede, but I think you meant a 3 axle (or 6 wheel) motor. :-) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Figure for steel wheels/steel rail is that you can get 1/4th the weight on drivers as TE. More for a modern DE loco with anti-slip and AC motors (more like 1/3rd). As regards traction tyres, no, we don't need them. What is there should work (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

I also am a firm believer in running short trains with LEGO®. Not only do they tax the 9V motors less, but they're easier to manage and somehow convey a more dramatic effect to my eyes...especially when using two-axle equipment. -Harvey (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Euro-trash? Care to explain?? :D As for weight... one weight brick per 9v engine block seems to work fine for me. I refitted my 7760 with a 9v block and it ran great, a LOT stronger than my 4563 engine. After fitting the 4563 with one weight (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) [snip] (...) I have another trick to improve your engines/motors. If you take a close look at the motor wheels you see there are small round rubber bands. You can exchange the original ones against the rubberbands used in the Lego bicycles. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Replacing train motor tires!

Wow! Thast's the first time I've ever heard of that. I noticed those rubber tires on the motors before, wondered about the life span etc... but kaboom! What an idea! I changed the subject, some might be trailing off this one... SteveB From "Re: My (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Replacing train motor tires!

(...) ... I agree. It's a great idea. And I like the look of the bicycles with the thinner tire, too. I changed two motors right away and there's no question, the traction is improved immensely. I changed the Santa Fe 'A' unit and my 'B' unit, and (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories - Grip and Weight on wheels

Hi Ben, I've also done the tire-exchange in the past. And also out of Telekom's by now... :-) My best Trick: just add more power on the track. I've exchanged the Lego-transformer for a standard 6-dollar-one (with 2 outlets!): 2 times ~11,5V / 1,25A (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories - Grip and Weight on wheels

(...) At LEGOWorld, Intertoys will probably have these in their megashop there. And current Intertoys price is 99 Eurocents :D (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Controller Mod (was My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories)

We at the SCLTC had noticed the same issues everyone else has mentioned. We love to run long trains and decided to modify controllers to supply more electricity to the tracks. We used the information that someone here at LUGNET had supplied (...) (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My Santa Fe Train Kit Theories

(...) Oh, uh right...oops. {:^) Centipede though, that would be awesome to see. MTH made an O-gauge model a while ago. It's huge! -Stefan- (22 years ago, 10-Oct-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct)