 Trains / 17981
Re: Canadian National SD40-2 Diesel Engine V2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:09:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

<snip>

And Lar, don't knock the rivet counters-- they have their points, too:-)  Mine
is in bringing all of this up is that some details are more significant that
others.  For instance, the number of fans is trivial; the number of wheels per
truck is pretty fundamental.  Dean can call his MOC a *steam* engine if he
wants to, but at some point it would be a misnomer, as would calling it an "SD".

The *only* problem with that is TLC made their 9V electric train motor with
2 axles and not 3.  I have seen some pretty good MOCs that get around this
issue, but none of them seem to sit right on a 6 wide--what I noticed anyway.

So until we get a nicely designed truck with 3 axles that looks good for a 6
wide, it's nitpicky to say an engine "can't be whatever because it only has
2 axle trucks instead of 3."

But I remember all this being discussed years ago--my bottom line is that
the SD40 is very well done, and I'm currently revamping my engines to
incorporate some ideas gleaned from these engines.

Old engines here:

http://sparky.i989.net/rollstok.htm

(soon to be revamped engines :) )

Nicely done!

Learning which details to model that are significant, especially when one is
engaged in selective compression, is all a part of the creative building
process that we all enjoy so much (those of us, that is, who *engage* in
selective compression;-)

I agree :)

-John

Dave K