 Technic / 6451
Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 05:57:57 GMT

    It's not pretty.  I've sheared teeth on racks when using them for Z-axis
(up/down) stages that had a fair bit of weight on them.  It broke the
pinions too : (  To be fair though,  it was bad design on my part to use a
rack and pinion for that.  I should have used racks and worms to spread the
load over more teeth...
    On your page you mention that some of your high-speed input gear stages
wear out and generate fine dust.  That's dry friction grinding away the
tooth profiles.  Try some graphite spray or silicone brake lube on them.
The brake lube works well, but does seem to attract dust. Lubrication also
makes the worm gears more useful.
    I don't even use my old 4.5 & 9V motors any more.  The new 9V motors
(5225?) are much kinder to gears, because they're already geared down and
eliminate a couple of high speed stages in a gear train. Lately I've been
using 3 or 4 of them ganged together and you can generate respectable
torques that way.  In fact you can twist an axle up if you're not careful :
(  I've never had one completely fail in torsion, but I've made "twizzlers"
out of a few by accident.
Thomas Avery <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> wrote in message
I've never seen teeth shear off, but you'll notice that one 24-tooth gear
has a crack in between the teeth, and one of the 12-tooth bevel gears had
mashed teeth.