 Trains / 14737
Re: Gear and Axle Strength (was Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:51:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Filz writes:

Has anyone tried making an axle of 2x2 round bricks with bearings made
from 1x4 arch bricks? I just played with it a little and it looks like
the bearing would work ok. You could also make a bearing from macaroni
bricks, but I think it would be harder to get a strong bearing (the
arches can easily be built into a frame which would hold them pretty
good). Of course if you're putting serious load with lots of cycles
you're going to get some pretty worn bricks.

Well, I've been experimenting with macaroni bearings, and had some pretty
good results. You can attach 24 & 40 tooth gears directly to the 2x2 rounds
- this means the axle only has to take all the load at one small point. I
haven't yet tested this arrangement to failure, but it's pretty strong. I've
been making larger "bearing blocks" which can be integrated fairly easily
into non-SNOT chassis.

I'm using these in my next big project.

ROSCO