 Technic / 6437
  Power Pullin' With My Tractor

I had a little fun last night: (URL) managed to move 94.5 lb (42.9 kg)! TJ (22 years ago, 24-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

Hello Thomas "Thomas Avery" <thomas.avery@intec-hou.com> schreef in bericht news:GqGH48.H6v@lugnet.com... (...) Quite impressive! I definitly must try to figure out how much my little tractor would lift from the ground...( your 2.9 kg) I think it (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Thomas, I wish you would fix it and bring it to the next meeting! I would love to see it in person! Awesome, just awesome!! Great acheivement... Tom (22 years ago, 24-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Thanks! Actually, I found the problem when I was messing around with it this evening. I didn't break a gear last night, but I mashed some teeth so that the gears wouldn't mesh anymore. That's interesting because it's never happened to me (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Thanks! (...) Give it a try! Steve Lane needs more competition for his pulling contest. No one has beaten his 4.5 kg pull yet. TJ (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

Wow, now that's impressive. Surprised you didn't use the kitchen sink. I didn't see it on the list. I was wondering, would you do something for me. A while ago a co-worker asked me about engineering specs of Lego. It sparked an interest but I don't (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) I might have, but I knew that my wife would've killed me. I contemplated using one of my fattest cats, but I knew he wouldn't sit still and I have enough cat hair on my desk already :-) (...) Thanks for asking. You've prompted me to update my (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Wow, very informative page! Can you add to it what KIND of breakage you saw? (the failure mode) Was it tooth shearing, axle connection point failure, the axle itself failing, or something else? Thanks! (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Thanks! Okay, try it again: (URL) added some pictures to the "breakage" section that show the broken gears. I'm pretty sure that they break from the axle hole outwards. There's a high stress concentration at the point of axle connection. I've (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes: Thanks for the update! (...) Long long ago, when I first got into the hobby, I was corresponding with John Gerlach about lift bridges and he reported axle failures, but it was due to shear rather than torque. (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains)

  Gear and Axle Strength (was Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor)

(...) That sounds like a very good solution. My solution to preventing axle shear has been to create multiple shear planes (like the hinges of the boom on my crawler crane). The problem is that it takes up a lot of room and there can be a lot of (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Gear and Axle Strength (was Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor)

(...) Has anyone tried making an axle of 2x2 round bricks with bearings made from 1x4 arch bricks? I just played with it a little and it looks like the bearing would work ok. You could also make a bearing from macaroni bricks, but I think it would (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

It's not pretty. I've sheared teeth on racks when using them for Z-axis (up/down) stages that had a fair bit of weight on them. It broke the pinions too : ( To be fair though, it was bad design on my part to use a rack and pinion for that. I should (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Gear and Axle Strength (was Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor)

(...) Thanks for the advice. I know the subject of lubrication has been discussed many times before here and I should listen, I've ruined too many gears now! I'll have to try it next time. (...) I agree. After using the new geared 9v motors I'm (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Gear and Axle Strength (was Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor)

(...) Well, I've been experimenting with macaroni bearings, and had some pretty good results. You can attach 24 & 40 tooth gears directly to the 2x2 rounds - this means the axle only has to take all the load at one small point. I haven't yet tested (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Gear and Axle Strength (was Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor)

(...) Another approach that doesn't require the macaroni but should be almost as good is to simply use the 2x2 rounds as strengtheners. Since they stick together with the studs and also have an axle hole down the middle, you could use them to (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic)

  Some links on tractor pulling

Nice stuff, definitely inspiring. Here are some related links: (URL) (22 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

Sorry for digging up an old thread ;) In the solar car I'm building (see the 'heavily modified 8880 chassis' thread) I've so far broken 3 old style 24 tooth gears. (among some old style 12 tooth crown gears, but that's no surprise really...) The (...) (21 years ago, 8-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Dude, this is old! :-) (...) That's been my experience too. Especially with the old-style 24 tooth gears. In fact, the axle support kinda warps as the axle rotates out. And then sometimes it just breaks. Just use the new style 24t gears. The (...) (21 years ago, 8-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) I don't have any new style 24t gears. My newest lego set is the 8880 supercar from 1995, that has now been dusted off and mutated to serve as a school project. :) (...) New style 24t gears would be fine, as long as they're compatible with the (...) (21 years ago, 8-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

hey tj, have you broken any u-joints yet or is the fix with the plate holding up good? also what is the yellow chasis at the top of your load? is that your liehberr excavator? steve (21 years ago, 8-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) You could double all the z24 gears and link then togheter with friction pins and/or cross axles. Or, you could boil them: (URL) don't blame me if it wont work with the old z24's and it will certainly ruin any warranty :) (...) See this (...) (21 years ago, 10-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Hey, very informative page! I see now I didn't brake 12tooth gears, but 14tooth bevel gears. (4143) These look even flimsier than the current 12 tooth bevel gears... About the 24t gears, I'm currently using them like this: (URL) the 2 24t (...) (21 years ago, 10-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

Another dig up then. ;) I mailed lego about the 5 'old style' broken z24 gears, and asked them if they would send me 5 new ones. (preferably at no cost) Their reaction: because these gears are not available in any service pack, we will send them to (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Cool. I wish I'd kept all the ones I broke! I think I tossed them out. Or did you even need the old broken ones? The only experience I had with parts replacement and Lego was when I asked for two new mini-motors. Lego promptly sent the new (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) I didn't even have to send the broken ones, I just got the new ones, no questions asked. It's the first time I've even contacted lego for me, so I wouldn't know if this is standard procedure... (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Sometimes. (...) I've got two motors replaced also but never had to turn in the faulty ones. I had the misfortunes about a year between each so it was only one motor at the time. (...) I think they do if the parts are expensive i.e. motors, (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) I have loved this tractor design since it was first shown in the LUGNET spot light. I sure wish you would publish the Ldraw CAD plans for this beast! -JM (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor

(...) Thanks! Sorry, though, I didn't CAD this beast. I wish I had the time to do things like that, but by the time I'm finished with a model, I'm too eager to tear it down and start on the next one! :-) -TJ (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.technic)