 Technic / 6445
Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:17:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:

Thanks for asking. You've prompted me to update my gears page:
http://www.texbrick.com/ideas/gears/

At the bottom of the page, there is a section on gear breakage. I've listed
the different gears I've broken and the conditions in which failure occured.
Hope this helps.

Wow, very informative page! Can you add to it what KIND of breakage you saw?
(the failure mode) Was it tooth shearing, axle connection point failure, the
axle itself failing, or something else? Thanks!

Thanks! Okay, try it again:
http://www.texbrick.com/ideas/gears/

I've added some pictures to the "breakage" section that show the broken
gears. I'm pretty sure that they break from the axle hole outwards. There's
a high stress concentration at the point of axle connection.

I've never seen teeth shear off, but you'll notice that one 24-tooth gear
has a crack in between the teeth, and one of the 12-tooth bevel gears had
mashed teeth.

The axles hold up during gear failure. I've never noticed any permanent
warping either. At least there's no noticeable warping.

The only time I've ever failed an axle was when I put one in a power drill
(a long time ago). Duh! Oh well, I was a stupid kid.

TJ