 Technic / 6446
Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:37:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:

Thanks for the update!

The axles hold up during gear failure. I've never noticed any permanent
warping either. At least there's no noticeable warping.

Long long ago, when I first got into the hobby, I was corresponding with
John Gerlach about lift bridges and he reported axle failures, but it was
due to shear rather than torque.

He had a (lift) bridge so heavy that a single axle at the axis of rotation
could not take the weight, it kept shearing. He used a technique involving a
gear! Rather than the bridge having an axle pivot, the truss was pinned to a
gear and that gear rolled in a number of 8t gears on the abutment that
together, kept it confined around an axis of rotation as it moved.

I copied .trains so he can correct me if I misremembered.