 Technic / 9544
Re: Power Pullin' With My Tractor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:18:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
In lugnet.technic, Gillis Hommen writes:

Just use the new style 24t gears. The axle suport is VERY solid and I
haven't broken one yet!

I don't have any new style 24t gears. My newest lego set is the 8880
supercar from 1995, that has now been dusted off and mutated to serve as a
school project. :)

You could double all the z24 gears and link then togheter with friction pins
and/or cross axles.

Or, you could boil them:
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=6899

But don't blame me if it wont work with the old z24's and it will certainly
ruin any warranty :)

Probably not. The old style 24t gears you've broken aren't made anymore.
They might replace them with newer style ones, but I can't say. It's worth a
try I suppose.

New style 24t gears would be fine, as long as they're compatible with the
rest of the gears. :)

See this excellent page:
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/gear/gear_3.php

There you can see both the old and the new z24 gear.

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu
(remove SPAM when e-mailing)

Hey, very informative page!

I see now I didn't brake 12tooth gears, but 14tooth bevel gears. (4143)
These look even flimsier than the current 12 tooth bevel gears...

About the 24t gears, I'm currently using them like this:
http://home.hccnet.nl/gillis.hommen/double_gears.PNG
Of the 2 24t gears next to the center-diff only one meshes with the
differential, but they're connected with friction pins to share the load. In
reality those are actually 2 broken gears working together as one strong and
properly working gear. :)
On the same axle as these two 24t gears is one 24t crown gear that meshes
with the gearbox' clutchgears. It's not possible to use 2 'normal' 24t crown
gears connected by friction pins, as the second one would touch the
gearbox's clutch. The 24t crown gear looks like it has a stronger axle
support so I'm trying that out instead of a regular gear. Before the gearbox
are just 2 pairs of 8&24 tooth gears, sharing the load. Those are not
connected by friction pins because there's no reason to, they both mesh with
another gear.