 Pirates / 1714
Re: The Wobbegong sails forth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 00:25:25 GMT

Congrats.  I particularly liked the skeleton hangng from the halyard(?).

Yes, it wasn't just the Islanders that suffered at the hands of the pirates
on the Wobbegong. The Flying Ninja Fortress was also raided and lost their
red-capped skeleton and all those ninja-blue-with-gold hatch covers. Fort
Legoredo also suffered considerably; the entire rear side (the jail side)
was demolished for windows, while the US cavalary lost guns, swords, and
their cannon.

Reflecting their superior firepower, the USS Kittyhawk and a number of Star
Wars spaceships managed to hold back the maurading pirates and their vessels
remain unplundered. (Princess Leia had previously been captured and was
cryosealed in a plastic bag; I'm sure she didn't feel any pain when her legs
were removed to turn her into a figurehead).

This is a cackle - what else is there to a pirate ship, apart from the odd
vertical wall and bit of horizontal deck :-)

Well, in the case of the Black Sea Barracuda, the walls and deck actually
aren't vertical! And there's a host of other items that just didn't come
readily to hand in my collection: windows, doors, the fence pieces to hold
the cannons in places, the tall slopes (normal and inverse), the decorative
pieces over the window areas, etc. However, most of them I could finesse,
except for the doors. As the consequence, the Wobbegong has doorways instead
of doors.

See everyone - you don't have to have a ton of pirate gear to get into
pirates. Here the main thing was apparently the bow and stern, and most
pirateheads who build big ships have an odd bow and stern to spare (just • no
centre sections ;-)

Actually, what I had meant was that the possession of a bow and stern
inspired me to try to build a large pirate ship. If I hadn't had them, I
probably would have built something else. I actually think you could build a
bow & stern using conventional bricks, albeit with some pixelation.
Admittedly it would be easier with a real bow/stern in your hand at the time
for detailed examination. You could build masts entirely out of 2x2 rounds,
but you would need a lot more 2x2 rounds than I possess to build all the
masts that way. You could use 2x2 squares for the lower parts of the mast,
but the problem would be that they would probably become unstable at mast
heights, and unlike the 2x2 round, there is no way to reinforce 2x2 squares
with technic axles. Given that the weight of the spars is all on one side of
the mast, mast stability is a consideration. However, you may be able to use
cotton rigging to add stability. However, I had a mast and a half so I
didn't have to go down that road.

Historical trivia, did you know that ...

one of the reasons that the English navy wopped the Spanish Armada and
various others related largely to the amount of sail the English ships could
carry. One of the limiting factors here is the height of the mast. For
strength, masts have to be a single piece (not spliced together). So, naval
superiority was directly related to the availability of very tall very
straight very strong trees. The English had good political relations with
Norway at this time, and Norway was a major source of tall straight strong
trees. It was this same source of timber that had enabled the Vikings to
build their ships earlier.

Kerry