Re: Another Point to Ponder ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 22:17:28 GMT

HA!  lolololol - I kill me!  This was supposed to go just to Mike,
not to the whole newsgroup.

lol

I wouldn't hold you to this ("But Mike said so ..."), unless you
decreed it inviolable (which may or may not be heeded anyways ;).

I don't think I've ever declared anything inviolable, but it sounds like fun.
It'd be like being the Pope.

Anyways, in reading Eric's reply, I think he has a very convincing
argument.  In retrospect, I'm almost partial to saying that
spacepilots are trained to pilot things, and that is the natural
order of the world.  Spaceheroes are trained to run around and
increase the overall havoc on foot, and that too is the natural
order of things.  The two shouldn't mix ... ahh, so the little
buggers can't hit anything ... hopefully that works both ways :)

I don't see anything wrong with SpaceHeroes piloting vehicles.  Whenever you
wonder about what a spacehero should and shouldn't be able to do, just think
about all the action movies you've seen lately - heroes by and large are meant
to be based on action-movie stars.  Arnold Schwarzenegger and James Bond will
often grab some fancy ride and go around wreaking havoc, although they don't
usually spend the whole movie vehicle-bound.

As to things being hard to hit with vehicle weapons, well, that's an action-
movie thing too.  Buildings and tanks are easy to hit, little running infantry
aren't.  I tried to fix that a little bit in bw2000 by giving more of the
siege weapons an AreaEffect, so targets can still get caught in the blast
radius when the shot misses, and even if they don't get killed they still go
flying a little bit, A-Team style.

Of course, if the group wanted to allow SpaceHeroes to pilot
vehicles and move and shoot in the same turn ala their stupendous
feats, that would also be very cool too ...

I don't see anything wrong with this, but remember that stupendous feats fail
almost half the time (when you roll the 1d6 contest).  If a hero failed his
stupendous feat roll when he tried to move and shoot, he'd screw them both up;
although you'd have to decide on a case-by-case basis what would go wrong at
that point.  The usual action-movie course would be for the vehicle to crash
and be destroyed but for the hero to be mostly unharmed.

Also, just to avoid any confusion, if you want to be specific that should read
'steer and shoot' rather than 'move and shoot.'  If a vehicle is already
moving it will keep moving in the same direction at the same speed while the
non-Pilot driver is busy firing the weapons.  He cannot turn, accelerate, or
decelerate.

Finally, in regards to giving a death gun to a guy piloting a small flyer: You
couldn't put it in his hands, since then he would have no hands free to pilot
the flyer; however if you mounted it on the flyer somehow, then he could fire
it as a vehicle weapon without any problems.  For instance, I have a character
sitting on my computer speaker here, he's a skeleton wearing an Aquazone
helmet/backpack.  I put dragon wings in the claws on the sides of the
backpack, and stuck one of the handles of a cannon into the hollow stud on the
back of the backpack.  He looks ridiculous of course, which is why he gets the
coveted seat on my computer speaker.  It would be easy to replace the cannon
with a death gun.  Under 1998 rules, he would have the following stats:

Skeleton Pilot: 6 Pts.
(5"Mv 1d4AV 1d6+2Sk)

One-Piece Flyer: 6 pts.
(22"Mv 1d6+2AV)

Death Gun: 13 pts.
(10pts for the Death Gun + 1pt to mount it + 2pts for -2MP" = 13pts)
(16Rng UR5 -2MP" 2d10+2dam)

Totals:
  cost: (6+6+13=) 25 pts.
  move: (22"-2"=) 20"
  skill: 1d6+2
  armor: 1d6+2

I could also have made him a Hover Flyer if I thought his wings could flap
fast enough (like an apocalyptic hummingbird), but I figured he'd be more fun
as a normal flyer, since his minimum 10" per turn movement makes him a lot
more prone to crashing into things.

- Mike Rayhawk.

    Check out the Official BrikWars Home Page at
   http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/brikwars.htm