Re: NELUG Brickwars 04/01/00 pics are up.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.gaming
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:40:23 GMT

Mike Rayhawk wrote:

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Eric Kingsley writes:
I personally had a great time and I am not much of a gamer.  I got a great • idea
for what I need to do to bolster my forces so that I have a more balanced
force.

One trick I've found that works well in that regard is to pretend you "forgot"
about the 200-pt. limit.

I'll tell you what though, having a more balanced force will help you win and
all that, but a month after the game is over nobody's going to be talking
about who won, they're going to be talking about the guy who went out in a
blaze of glory, crashing his jet through a squad of troops and into a wall...
so to some extent, the more unbalanced and ridiculous your army, the more able
they are to pull off crazy stunts and last-ditch futile gestures, the better.

Agreed - the most spectacular actions of the game were indeed the destructions ...
you may notice the armored car in the pictures has spouts of flame coming from the
hatch - that was the handiwork of a spaceninja tossing grenades.  Another sequence
of shots to be making their debut later this week shows a hapless motorcycle who
rounded a corner and met a wall of fire from a pair of mechs (thanks, Neil ;)

The balanced forces worked well in some respects - I actually only ended up
fielding about 1/2 of the items I brought, which turned out to be good because the
field would have gotten pretty crowded had there been much more.  On the other
hand, we also ended up doing a lot of soft-shoeing around each other, which might
have been mitigated if somebody was at enough of a disadvantage that they had to
dig in and defend themselves.  Of course, with more time I have no doubt this will
happen anyways, as one side starts to dwindle in numbers :)

The other advantage to a badly balanced force (besides glory) in a game with a
lot of players, is that it forces you to cut deals and depend on alliances.
Well, that's not actually an advantage, but it makes the game more
entertaining.

Unless the loser has to buy everybody pizza and a round of drinks when the
game's over, winning just isn't important enough to field a boring army.  So
be careful!  Make sure you keep the right priorities!

Anyay here are some pics that might interest you.  I have not specified any
particular groups for followups so if you respond to this for a particular
reason (i.e. gaming or mech) please set the followups as such.

http://www.nelug.org/bw040100/

These pictures are fantastic!  Are you going to post captions for them?

Hopefully we will be able to do something like this - there's another roll of film
being developed, which in addition to showing some nice action shots, has a bird's
eye view of the landscape following every turn.  We can circle units and draw
arrows and indicate taken shots with these, giving a play-by-play battle
analysis.  Ahh, the distractions from work we invent for ourselves :)

Looking forward to the next round ....

shaun