 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 459
  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) I killed the whole morning (I could never do this with a regular paying job) making it, but I've got a switching yard that I like. The overall "industrial end" is 8'x18', with the yard 3' across. (Any wider and we wouldn't be able to reach it (...) (23 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) Er, one of the tracks isn't connected. So, thats 1173 pieces of train track. My guess is about a minute to place each one. Some as little as a couple seconds, but overall, I think that's a not unexpected rate. That's a *lot* of time! P.S. I've (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) Yeah - I noticed that AFTER I'd posted it - there should be another switch in there, plus there's still more to add to the totals. Between Michel and I we have almost 250 curved segments which should be plenty. Straights are another story (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) (URL) shot is of the "industrial side" with the switching yard and the container, oil and auto depots/yards. The empty spot in the lower corner is for hand-outs - there's a matching one on the "town side". SRC StRuCtures (23 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

I like your yard, Steve. James' yard was less dense, but it did look nice and tidy. I just realized that there is only one loop of track. With a layout this size, it would make sense to have several things moving around simultaneously. Otherwise, it (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) A quick suggestion that will save you some time: Pre-assemble your straight track into 4 piece long segments. You should be able to find a box large enough to carry them. That way, when you're setting up at the show, you'll be able to do it (...) (23 years ago, 6-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) That's the only thing I don't like about this layout - It's one HUGE loop with tons of sidings. The main "problem" is the three main tracks running the length of the main section. There could be one "loop" for each cross-over, but that would (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

I agree with John, that it would be best if you had atleast two separate loops of track. (I still like Chris' "law" that the continuous loop(s) not run along the branch of a switch.) With a layout that size, if only one locomotive can run at a time, (...) (23 years ago, 7-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

SRC wrote in message ... (...) Without messing with polarity switching, a simple solution would be to add an extra main line to the center section for a total of four lines. This way, you can have two loops running the full length of the layout. [1] (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

Michel Magnan wrote in message ... (...) To get more trains moving at once, we would have to cut out some of the long sidings in the center to make room for the second loop. IMO, not a problem. "More running locos are better than more stationary (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) Yup. A 60' layout is going to look pretty empty with only 1 train. I like (John's?) suggestion for doing 2 loops. (...) Cool. The more stuff we've got, the better. (...) I've got 13 of the longest connector, and a smattering of the smallest 2 (...) (23 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

(...) I've already spent considerable time pondering this problem, but I haven't found a solution I liked. If I were to add a table in the middle and shuffle/squeeze the track on both sides to accommodate a fourth "main" line as you suggest, there's (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Steve Chapple writes: <snip> Steve, Can you bring some hardcopy layouts on Saturday, with some of the different ideas you've had? I'll confess, sporadic opportunity for Lugnet-ing this week, and a lot of ideas getting tossed (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

(...) I guess - Is everyone going to be there? Might it not be better to post them where everyone can see them? I guess I could both for that matter... SRC (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

(...) Here's the town, bridge and switching yard as I currently have them. (URL) the moment, my method of running multiple trains is just that - run multiple trains on the one main loop. It's so long that two or three trains can run on it for quite (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

(...) With a bit of changing, there is certainly room for a small loop inside the town end. So, do we have a time/place for our Saturday get-together yet? Is it out a James'? We had talked about being able to come here, but we might want to be a (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) I would like to put a link to a NALug website in the hand-out... Chris: Is there one? NALug.Graysage.com or Graysage.com/NALug ?? If there's no such thing, can you make something appropriate? Would someone else prefer to be responsible for the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) Ok, official it is, then. :) My place, this Saturday, aiming for noon. I can do a pick up (and drop off)run for anyone who can't otherwise get a ride. On the agenda: barricade making Supertrain layout discussion mountain design general yakking (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

Thanks for offering your place James. I might be a bit late, we won't be leaving St Paul until Saturday morning, I'll have my wife drop me off at your door on our way into Edmonton. (James, I misplaced your street address, could you email it to me (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

Steve, did James Powell ever send you the layout for his intermodal station? It would be nice to have it on Saturday, to be able to incorporate it into your plans. Michel (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) Thanks - it's likely easier for someone in town to get both myself and John. What's everyone else's status on this? (...) Sounds good to me. Want me to bring my BURPs? I have a tub of the big ones and a bucket of the little ones. You must have (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) There is nothing there now. The current page is big and ugly. I have no problem with creating one, but I have neither the skill nor the tools to create flashy graphics. Putting up jpg's is easy, and I know enough HTML to make most simple stuff (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) An intermodal layout? AFAIK he's sending a bunch of containers and intermodal type sets that James B and I will place as appropriate. I still have to confirm, but it'll probably include my <set:4549> and then after the show, the crane and (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) Doubtful - The layout is still rather fluid including e-mailing with Calgary. (...) AFAIK the clearance height is fourteen bricks including track. ie. Set the train on some track on a table, and put a stack of fourteen bricks beside it - the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) Hmm. Ok then, I want it enough set in stone that we can start building usefully. I want to know how much room we've got for town (container yard, Octan yard, rail yard, etc) Some of that stuff we can fake, but I really want to be able to just (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) Agreed - I think we can get solid enough. The main thing is what mountain configuration to use (so it can be built) right? That part at least we should be able to put in stone. (pun intended) ;-) Whatever I (we) decide on 3 or 4 tracks and (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) Yes and no. I definitely want the mountain down, but I'd also really like a solid setting for the town. We can build some things before knowing what space we've got, but a lot of stuff is going to have to wait - it's hard to build something (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

Steve, look up (URL)Steve, did James Powell ever send you the layout for his intermodal (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

(...) The town can be as solid as you want it - I was intending to leave that section pretty much up to you. ie. There's tracks entering it here and here, which should loop back to here and here and the overall dimensions should be this by that. (6' (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Container yard

(...) If James P does have a layout for the container yard that needs to be followed, I'm sure I can incorporate it. I'll e-mail him about it... SRC StRuCtures (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout prep Saturday?

I just wanted to publicly thank Michel and James and the rest of NALug for their help on Saturday making barricades for the show next month. SRC StRuCtures (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains.org)