 MediaWatch / 1382
Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:53:27 GMT

Purple Dave <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote:
Huh?  "LEGO bricks" is the standard preferred term.  And who does he
think he is, going around and lecturing people on proper trademark
protection when he's typing "Lego" instead of "LEGO"? Just because
someone says that "LEGO" can't be pluralized into "LEGOS" doesn't mean
that they're saying that "LEGO" is the plural of "LEGO".

I think you need to read the last paragraph again. :)

As for the capitalization issue: that's a very long-standing conflict
between marketing/sales/companies and journalists. See:

<http://www.theslot.com/webnames.html>

Which includes the classic summary: "You want all caps? Go buy an ad!"

As that article points out, and as you'll see elsewhere, AP style (which
most newspapers follow) dictates that company names are printed in all
caps only if each letter is pronounced separately. El ee gee oh would be
LEGO; Lego is Lego.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>