 MediaWatch / 1395
Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:54:46 GMT

Allan Bedford <ExpertBuilder-DELETE-TO-REPLY@apotome.com> wrote:
It's not just any blog.
Then I will sincerely ask.... what kind of blog is it?

It's part of what remains of the former Brunching Shuttlecocks, which was
one of the funniest humor sites on the web before its recent demise.

Probably not coincidentally, today's Book of Ratings (another fragment of
said site) also refers to Lego. Although somewhat negatively. :)

<http://www.bookofratings.com/>

Sure, I'll *spell* it right. :)
And then why not just use it the way the company has asked?  I honestly

Because using it as an adjective rather than a noun is stilted and clumsy
-- like saying Kleenex tissue. I like Lego, but it's general principle
that for-profit companies don't get to control the English language.

In more-formal writing, sure, I'll call the product "Lego bricks" instead
of Lego or Legos. I'll use most trademarks that way, in fact. But I'll
stick to the correct/standard capitalization. Just about every company
asks for special treatment of their trademarks, and I don't see why I
shouldn't be consistent. What's next: asking for the trademark to always
be [bold]? Or <BLINK>blinking</BLINKING>? Or written five lines tall in
fancy letters? Or always followed by the phrase "is the best thing ever
buy buy buy!!!"?

You might say, those examples are ridiculous, and all-caps is such a
trivial little thing. And you'd be partly right, but it's all degrees of
the same thing. I just draw the line sooner than you might.

I'll gladly spell your name "Allan" (just as I prefer that people call me
'Matthew'), but if you ask that I always write aLlAn I'll probably
politely decline. :)

And perhaps you are right on this one.  I reread the charter for
.mediawatch and it seems pretty open as to where these references can
appear. However, it does worry me that we would put too much faith in a
blog or a web journal or a personal website of any kind on something
that is already clearly defined elsewhere and with good reason.

I wasn't really putting any 'faith' in it; I just thought it was funny to
see the little rant there. I happen to agree, but that's another story. :)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>