 MediaWatch / 1378
1377  |  1379
Subject:
Lore on Lego vs. Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:59:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

<http://slumbering.lungfish.com/>, top story today.

   Attention Lego fanatics: you are missing the point when you claim that
   the word "Lego" can't be pluralized into "Legos," but should instead be
   "Lego bricks." If your concern is trademark protection, then plurality
   doesn't enter into it. In other words, if you can't say "Hand me some
   Legos," you also can't say "Hand me that Lego."

   I know that the Lego trademark page says to never say "Legos." That
   doesn't mean that the plural of "Lego" is "Lego," it means that they
   don't want you to use the term generically. Get it straight.

   Also, for consistency's sake, you should also apply this rule to other
   companies. If you don't always say "Hand me that Kleenex tissue" and "I
   need a Band-Aid adhesive bandage," then you should keep quiet. If you do
   always say "Kleenex tissue" and "Band-Aid bandage," you should keep quiet
   for a different reason.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>