 MediaWatch / 1394
Re: Lore on Lego vs. Legos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:37:48 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Matthew Miller wrote:
Allan Bedford <ExpertBuilder-DELETE-TO-REPLY@apotome.com> wrote:
I think you need to read the last paragraph again. :)
I'm not sure what pains me more: the fact that this issue seems to come
up again and again or the fact that we are now spotlighting 'news'
articles from blogs.

It's not just any blog.

Then I will sincerely ask.... what kind of blog is it?

2)  Many of us around here _are_ respectful of the company and its
wishes for the way that its logo gets used. If LEGO wants their name
spelled in caps then so be it. I ask people everyday to spell my name
correctly, why shouldn't I give that same measure of consideration to a
company that I feel has earned it?

Sure, I'll *spell* it right. :)

And then why not just use it the way the company has asked?  I honestly don't
see why people put up such a fuss over this.  When speaking with friends, or
just in your own head while thinking about this topic I think we can use
whatever terms we want.  But in any type of civil conversation or written
communication I don't see it as a very big effort to just call them LEGO bricks,
LEGO products, LEGO sets, LEGO elements etc.  And I'm now so used to typing the
company name in all caps that I find it difficult to type it any other way.  :)

Setting follow-up to .general since there is no .blog group and this is
not a mediawatch worthy thread.

Setting it back, because What-Ever.

And perhaps you are right on this one.  I reread the charter for .mediawatch and
it seems pretty open as to where these references can appear.  However, it does
worry me that we would put too much faith in a blog or a web journal or a
personal website of any kind on something that is already clearly defined
elsewhere and with good reason.

Best regards,
Allan B.